Friday, April 3, 2009

The Blizzard

Last Monday we had a blizzard. At 8:00 when Caleb and Chad left for school there was maybe an inch of snow on the ground, and it wasn't really doing much. By noon it was snowing heavily, and blowing crazily, and visibility was down to about 10 ft. They did something they've never done before (at least thats what I've heard) and they closed school early. They said elementary schools would officially close at 1:30, but parents could pick students up at their convenience. So I decided to just pick up Caleb right then. And then I was going to pick up Chad from work. (His Toyota Corolla does great for gas mileage and summer driving, but not as well when there is nearly a foot of snow. And by this time there was a foot). They'd cancelled their patients for the afternoon. I took the girls to a friend's house while I ran into town, knowing that if I got in a wreck it'd be a whole lot easier by myself, or with only Caleb, than it would be if I had to deal with them, too. So I left my friend's house at 12:10. Normally it takes 17 to 20 minutes to get from the neighborhood to the school. I got there at 1:00. It had taken me 50 minutes to get there. By the time Caleb and I got out to the car it was 1:15. I got to Chad's office at 2:00. In that 45 minutes, I spun a 180 on CY (a really busy street here in town) in my Suburban when it was in 4-wheel-drive. That was scarey. Then I got stuck and had to dig myself out. Thankfully we keep a small snow shovel in the back. We got home at 2:40. What should have taken me an hour--at the most--actually took me 2 1/2 hours. And this was in March... Not the middle of December! It was crazy. But the kids had a great time playing in the snow. Here are some pictures.

No comments:

"... Life can be so sweet on the sunny side of the street."