Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We've been busy

Things have been busy but pretty normal at our house lately, but I wanted to add some pictures so you can see some of the fun things we are doing.
Caleb's birthday was good. I wanted to do a birthday party, but I didn't want to have too many kids, and I didn't want to go to a lot of work. So Caleb chose 3 friends to come over, we made pizzas, they watched "The Little Rascals", and ate cake and ice cream. Then the kids just played for a little while before I took them home. (As a side note, that movie is so funny. I don't know if the kids liked it or not, but Chad and I sure got a kick out of it.) Since we had pizzas to eat, I made a pizza cake. It was really fun.


Chad's birthday came and went. We went out to dinner to On the Border, a sort-of Tex-Mex restaurant. Pretty good. Chad had the fajitas and they were quite tasty. Then we went to the mall and got Chad a new pair of hiking shoes. They are quite comfortable for him, which is good. Last night we were asked to go on the Trek with the stake youth this summer. We will be a "Ma and Pa" to a group of 8 kids, and we'll push/pull a handcart for 15 miles before hiking back into the cove. We'll be gone 3 nights, but, Chad's parents are going to watch the kids for us. We are really excited to be going. I can see how this experience can have a really important influence on the kids, and I don't understand how some parents can just not make their kids participate in this. I am so glad that youth activities weren't an option for us. I see so many of these kids choosing not to participate in these type of things, and they are really just missing opportunities to have their testimonies strengthened. So anyway, we are really excited to be going. I am going to make myself a pioneer dress with matching bonnet and apron. But I'm trying to decide if I want to make a dress or a skirt, and then buy a blouse, although I need to decide soon because its probably going to take me the next 6 months to get it made.

Chad and I went to a stake activity last weekend... It was a "Regency Ball." We learned several dances (think Pride and Prejudice type) and then went to the dance where people were all dressed up. Many of the men were wearing tuxedos, but Chad just wore a suit. I borrowed one of Erin's formals and dressed up. We had a fun time. (That makes 2 dates in one month!)

Chad and Caleb are taking tae kwon-do together. Its great for them to have that time together, and get some excercise. Caleb is really getting the hang of things--he doesn't have perfect technique, but he's doing great. He can even count to 10 in Korean. Last night they got their uniforms. We got Caleb's a little big so that he can wear it for a few years. But he is very proud of it.

The girls are doing okay. Natalie is really good about wearing her glasses. She loves preschool, singing, reading books, and dancing in her ballet class. Claire has been sick, it seems like forever. The other night her fever reached 104.4. The fever seems to be gone now, but she has a runny nose and lingering grumpiness. She might be getting her molars, but I'm not sure. She's becoming a picky eater, and she won't drink milk or formula. But she's so cute and makes us laugh with her busy-ness.


I'm keeping busy with preschool, YWs, spending time at Caleb's school, and all the other stuff. And of course reading... I have started downloading (free) audiobooks to listen to on the IPOD while I'm cleaning house. My dishes are usually mostly done now that I have something to occupy my mind while I do it. I listened to Jane Eyre last week. I love that book. This week I am attempting to get thru Emma, but I'm surprised to say its tougher to listen to because there is more dialogue. I get lost. But its still a fun thing to do.

Well I've gone on a long time. Just thought I'd share.

2 comments:

Dave L said...

where are you getting these free audio books?

Emily said...

Hey...I just found your blog! Hello cousin! How are you? I'm actually in class right now...but looking at your blog is much more interesting. I loved reading your update. I haven't seen you since Erin's wedding...um 4 years ago? Anyway, you are just as beautiful as ever, your family is darling, and I'm happy that you are happy!

And yes, where did you get the free audio books from?

"... Life can be so sweet on the sunny side of the street."