"Mom, I got my Snow White dress on," Natalie said to me this morning as I was getting dressed. "Will you be the wicked witch?"
Some days I feel like a wicked witch. Finally, I have an excuse. There is this really funny book, called I Didn't Plan to be a Witch by Linda Eyre. She and her husband are internationally-renowned authors and public speakers. Probably their most famous book is Teaching Your Children Values. They are also the inventors of Joy School, for those who know what that is. They are LDS and have 10 kids. Anyway, in this book she talks about how every new mother thinks she is going to be the perfect mother with perfect children.... She never raises her voice, her house is always clean, the children are always groomed. Then reality sets in, and a lot of days we all become the witch. This book is hilarious, because her examples are all her own experiences, but it is also comforting to know that we all do it. I need to re-read it so I can remember how to take off the witch-hat. I recommend it to everyone. I also highly recommend reading A Joyful Mother of Children, also by her. It has fantastic and practical things you can do to enjoy your children more even though its hard when things are so crazy. Read them and let me know what you think. Be ready to laugh because they are funny. Also, here's a link to their website so you can learn about them. http://www.theeyres.com/
6 comments:
I love the Joyful mother of children book. I haven't read the wicked witch one but I often lay in bed at night and all of my wicked witch moments come haunting me, so I pledge to be better the next day and I always start out with great intentions. Sounds like a fun book to read.
I don't think you have to be a mom to have wicked witch moments. I have them at work when people don't want to do what I ask them to.
then it's good practice for kids S.
I love the new picture header. Tres cute.
Hey Teri! How are ya doing? Your family is so beautiful! I happend upon your blog when I was surfing throught my friends lists! Cool, huh?! I want to invite you to my private blog and I need your e-mail address. Write me at kjerstinlind@gmail.com
-Kjerstin Teeples Lind
Hi. I found a couple of blogs today when I was blog stalking that you might be interested in. One is Doug and Becky Langford (don't ask me how I found it, I just did), the other is Liz and Jeff. I put the links on my page.
Post a Comment